LONDON - CAMBERWELL rhopejohnstone@gmail.co.uk

Thursday 22 October 2009

Sound into Vision


With the sound of a washing machine, I saw the sound as three layers, and knowing where the sound was being produced from this cycling movement, I decided not to work against it but use to my advantage of the circular motion and project this in my final piece. The whole page filled to represent a confined space of where sound is produced where it is chaotic but also confined at the same time. Using the "@" sign being repeated it does loose it's meaning and therefore can be used to represent something else. For this instance sound. 

I mainly just wanted to look at progression of the noises created and therefore use gradients allowing movement and the thin vibrations caused by the washing machine. 

John Maede has influenced me in the past for his ideals of simplicity and here I just wanted to keep it simple and not overcomplicate the presentation of the sound. Take inspiration from the mark making but then simplify and develop, I tried not to just imitate.


No comments: